A Rude Awakening

 I've been a night owl my whole life, though my body clock seems to be shifting slightly. Since my Mom died I've been waking a lot earlier than I would like to. I seem incapable of getting a full eight hours sleep any more.

It's winter though, and by my standards it's horribly cold, so I have no desire to wake early. Unfortunately  some days that's out of my control.

Today was one of those days.

I was woken at 8:30am by the ringing of the doorbell. Not once, nor twice, but repeated every few seconds, as though my answering the door was a matter of extreme urgency. I wanted it to stop, so half way down the passage I called out "What's it?"

The answer was alarming. "It's the police."

What was wrong?

When I reached the door, the policman wanted me to open the window beside it, a window which doesn't open. I told him I couldn't.

It turned out that the "emergency" was a request to buy my Father's car, which is visible from the street. It's dirty after being  in "lockdown" since the start of the pandemic. The battery has been flat for the last two years, but I have no plan to sell it. Right now I'm hanging on to it for sentimental reasons, but before the pandemic I used it regularly,  and one of these days I plan to start again.

Comments

Popular Posts